Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Graphs, Krugman/DeLong, inflation, and psychology

The recession in graphs. Felix Salmon points us to a bunch of graphs comparing the current recession to previous recessions. It's nice to see all of these together.

Krugman thinks about some notes from DeLong. I think they're interesting reads, though a bit rough.

The Fed is not concerned about falling inflation due to too much slack in production. This seems like a very AD/AS argument, and one that supports the idea of a prolonged recovery. I wonder what they think about the possibility of dipping into another recession.

There's an argument for psychology to be as accurate a science as medicine. I can't say I'm surprised, though I think psychology gets a bad rap. The story here is that psychological correlation coefficients were considered weak, when values of .3 were given, when this is actually a stronger value than "good" values in medical experimentation.

No comments: