Friday, March 27, 2009

Newspapers, teaching, multilateralism, data, and the Geithner plan

There has been a bill introduced to allow newspapers file as nonprofit organizations. You know public television? Public radio? Try public newspapers. The Tax Foundation says that this may mean the end of editorials, but I don't see that happening. Public television and radio often have commentaries by people that express their opinions, so editorials may take a different form.

A community college professor gives some thoughts on teaching basic economics. Her article is well worth the read, I think. When I try to explain the concepts they're supposed to be learning, I worry that the students are sometimes missing the point, so I think this might be a good way to try to drive the essentials home.

FT provides an article on the importance of economic and political multilateralism. I think most economists see things this way as well, which makes me wonder about the economic education of political "realists."

Mark Thoma tells us that economists need better (and faster) economic data. if people expect us to have better forecasts. I suppose it makes sense to have better data as technology gets better, right? In a somewhat related post, Steve Horwitz points out that importance of looking at the right data.

And, a NYT debate on the Geithner plan. Follow along to see thoughts by Brad DeLong, Simon Johnson, Paul Krugman, and Mark Thoma. It's certainly an interesting read.

No comments: